Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The start of this songwriting journey

If you know me well, you know that I have always thought I can't write songs. That's cos, everything I can come up with is cliche! Used and reuse. Then it wouldn't be a new song.

So recently, I was led by God to attend Hillsong conference 2013. What an amazing faith walk that was! I stayed and travelled alone for the entire week. Everyday, taking night walks home was a scary affair! But because of that, it stirred up greater faith within me.
I was literally praying non-stop all the way home.

At Hillsong conference 2013, something unexpected happened. The fire to write songs was ignited.
I came back and told a few friends who encouraged me on...

I remember on one DE group session before all of this, where Vicky suggested that tiff and I should write songs together since I have the melody and she has the words. We claimed it in faith.

Then recently, because of the Welcome Heaven project, it hit me that God wants to do something new in FGA next year. At one point, I asked God, "why don't we have new songs in FGA?" ... I sought God a lot.

Then during one of the practise session for Welcome Heaven, God brought to remembrance about a prophecy that was released during Prinsep days. A guest speaker was doing his intro and he suddenly singled me out saying, "You... Girl... Yes, you... Do you play music? Or sing? (I only started to sing in church recently then)" Then he said, "I see musical notes coming out of your head... " He then turned to Rhordan and said that he also has musical notes, but more variation.

I have always thought that it was just probably a prophecy about me singing for worship and bring praises and worship to God. Honestly, the reason why I can remember is because I get teased so much for it after that..

So anyway, I remembered that, and I went to God last Sunday and said "God, I believe that You have songs for FGA. I believe that there is a reason why You brought the prophecy to remembrance... Should I try to write again? Can you help me to write them? God, i refuse to believe that You have no songs, cos everything comes from You. I will start writing now and Lord, give the melody and lyrics to me... "

In two days, I wrote a song. But I want it to be tighter in concept and arrangement. Building a song from scratch is the most difficult for me. The arrangement is possible with melody and lyrics in place.

So last night, I decided that I have to move on if not, I would keep dwelling on that one song.
I prayed for God, and i got a verse and prechorus...

The funny thing is I can't believe how God gives the words that stirs worship within me as I'm writing it.
After writing, my soul feels satisfied and rested. It's exactly the feeling when you listen to worship music, but don't sing it, and God shows up wherever you are!

It makes me want to run back home and write more. It's so weird.

Whether the church sings it, is up to God. The mind of man plans his ways, but God directs his steps. I truly believe so and I've been holding on to this even at work.

I'm signing off. Believing for a whole nother level of worship in FGA!




No comments:

Post a Comment