Thursday, November 21, 2013

Bangkok October 2013 Shopping Trip - Boxpackers Hostel Review!

Helloo...

So i decided to restart my blog and my first post will feature my Bangkok 2013 Trip alone...
Yes, i travelled alone to BKK.

The common first reaction is "Why!"
My common first response is "Why Not!"

I was free to do whatever i want. Plan my own day, do stuff, have quiet time... It was just a great getaway. Sometimes i think i'm just too comfortable doing stuff by myself. OCS much, Only child syndrome.

So anyway, i took Airasia which got me to Don Mueang (DMK) airport. The airport is around 1 hour away from the city and it's actually really expensive for a solo traveller to cab around.

When i land at DMK airport, i didn't know where to go. In the end, after some walking around, i stumbled upon a bus that was headed to Mo Chit. I thought to myself, "as long as it brings me to a BTS station, i can figure my way to my hostel!" So i hopped on, wide-eyed... looking lost.
Anyway, it was an alright bus ride... Throughout the journey, i was enjoying the moment... The moment of doing the unplanned, the unexpected... :)


It took me around 1 hour to get to Ratachathewi Station. After asking a few people, i found my hostel.
I stayed in a 4-female share dorm at Boxpackers Hostel which i booked around the same time i booked my flight. I figured that since i was alone, it wouldn't hurt to have some human interaction. Just get to know new people. Pretty exciting for me. As i grow older, i love the unexpected, unknown, unchartered... Spontaneity! Love it!

Honestly, the hostel is AWESOME. At least my room was. I had my own space, could draw the curtains if i didn't want to be disturbed, could spend quality quiet time in my box!!! It's actually pretty spacious and comfy.

In the afternoon, though, the airconditioning is all switched off... and the place is quite stuffy and hot. So i try not to go back. If i had to go back to drop stuff, i'll stay in the lobby area for a while to cool down before heading up.

Oh, cos i stayed for 4 days, 3 nights, i think i paid around SGD90 for my entire accommodation. For me, I don't have to stay in a hotel, as long as the basic amenities are there... Just close your eyes, and start dreaming! hahaha. But for real, i'm not one who believes in splurging in accommodation. I did a calculation once. Airticket and accommodation used to take up more than 3/4 of my travel expenses. It doesn't make sense to me. Even before you spend a single cent in a country, you already burst half of your budget... Comfort is relative. Anything more than a hard wooden floor or cold concrete slabs, is comfortable. Aircon is a non-negotiable for me though, especially in South East Asia.


So anyway, i'll continue with the Cooking Class i did in Thai, what i discovered about Thailand Shopping etc in my next post.






No comments:

Post a Comment